• images
  • December 20, 2014

The old Python/C++ codebase coupled with the server side Python/C++/Lua codebases (I promise how I did this made sense) has lead to some pretty hard lessons.  For example: while it’s fine to have worker threads running/handling data based on dynamic code allocated inside the VM and handled by whatever is best suited to it (Lua can...

  • images
  • December 20, 2014

Orbsphere Universe recently got a weird update.  An alpha-stream, beta client (think second generation pre-alpha test) on a test user’s system kicked back into life when the user accidentally ran it.  What’s unique about this is that the code is meant to call home to a server which no longer exists.  Instead of simply failing, the different...

  • images
  • October 18, 2011

I found my year 8 maths exercise book, which brings back the original Orbsphere design specifications from a decade ago (yes, I kept the book because it has the design specs, not because I like introductory algebra).  It may not sound that exciting, but for a game that was originally designed to be a webgame,...

  • images
  • October 12, 2011

Due to my experiences with Tropico’s engine, I’ll probably be moving to Lua. This isn’t to do with replicating their code (honestly 99.99999% of it has no place in my code base), but it opened my eyes to concurrency and the notion of “open buildings”.  While the games are fundamentally the same premise (city-builder/simulation/strategy), the...

  • images
  • August 1, 2011

Preliminary tests on mod code turned out successful today.  It has been the better part of a week spent on moving code to Python, with the majority of that overcoming strange build issues (OpenSSL was the latest victory, yielding access to ssl and hashlib). The potential success may yield a lot more … I’ll keep...

Over the last 2 days (~30 hours), I have pulled out all of my manual loading code from the C++ code.  I have, in its place, embedded LibRocket’s Python, Boost::Python, and some of my own binds.  This has set me back in that I have lost the ability to switch contexts (‘screens’ in my code)...

The scripting language is Python 2.7.2.  Whether I continue with Python 2.7.2 or move to Python 3.2.x is a matter for consideration (just to be sure that Python doesn’t update away from what I want, you understand).  Python is integrated in a way that would make it a terrible idea to swap out the dll...

Orbsphere has seen some pretty exciting updates, and some pretty exciting changes in the development plan. The following image is the latest mockup: There are some modifications made to that, and the whole thing is sprite-based, so that I can keep my dream of running things on lower-end PCs alive. I feel it has a...

Having thrown in the towel to do some testing, I’m finally getting back to the final concept. This version will be a great deal more complex than Prelude, but properly a lot uglier to make it run on an EEEPC, even with the AI (should I ever get around to that :P).

  • images
  • April 21, 2011

Due to a bunch of issues with the current engine, I’m forced to write my own. This will cause several delays and I’ll be putting Orbsphere proper aside while I work on the new engine for another game (the underlying bits are much the same, and it’s very modular). Anyway, the good news is it...